Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Go Go Girl!




Dara Puspita "A Go Go" 1967




I have now finally moved from musical acts your parents name drop while reminiscing about their hay day. (However, there may be more in the future). I have found that sometimes people tend to stray away from world music, due to the language barrier. Personally, a few years ago it was difficult to look past music with words I couldn’t understand, or relate to. I think there some stand out artists and groups that deserve recognition for their strengths that go beyond English-speaking lyrics.
Dara Puspita (or ‘Flower Girls) was one of Indonesia’s most successful girl band, in the mid 1960s. Playing all their own music, the foursome gained their inspiration from the British Rock invasion of bands like the Beatles, banned in Indonesia at the time. Other bands in Indonesia at the time, including Koes Bersaudara or (brothers) were put in jail for playing rock and roll, however Dara Pupsita were never seriously effected. However they were warned not to play Beatles songs as the Indonesian President Sukarno called the Beatles influence 'a form of mental illness'.
However, they moved forward and made their own unique name for themselves.The album ‘A Go Go’ by the group is a fun, energetic album with a cute pop girl band sound. It has a doo-wop feel, felt by America in the late 1950’s and 1960’s as girl groups like the Shirelles were becoming popular. Unlike the acts in America, however, these girls played instruments and were known for there huge stage presence. The music they create on this album, is fast paced and cheery. If you like the early, pre psychedelic songs of the Beatles, there is is a strong connection between their early pop sounds infused with an Indonesian innocence, creating a wonderful mix between the two different genres. There is no way this album could not make you smile and the talent of this all-girl band is worth listening to. The album ‘A Go Go’ also includes a cover of ‘To Love Somebody’, by the Bee Gees, and their original song ‘Believe Me’ providing the perfect homage of their influences, and giving two English translated song to listeners. The rest of the songs are in their native speaking language- but there is no disconnect felt. Worth checking out especially if you are one who digs other cultures sounds, or if you want something different from the norm.



Track Listing
*= personal favorites



1. A Go Go- 2:12*
2. To Love Somebody- 3:04
3. Aku Tetap Sadar-2:16
4. Bhaktiku-2:27*
5. Soal Asmara- 2:28
6.  Kerdja Kami- 2:31
7. Believe Me- 2:15*
8. Kau Berdusta- 2:38*


I also included a link to bring you to youtube to hear one of the songs!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0EicyKXHvY

4 comments:

  1. I love world music! I am going to have to check this group out on youtube. Our french immersion class in middle school required us to listen to world music and we even had to do mock music videos as well (tramautizing). Listening to world music is an excellent way to familiarize yourself with a new language in addition to hearing something different for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay the YouTube clip of A Go Go was pretty cool. I wasn't sure what to make of the group at first but attaching the music clip brought life to beautiful faces. I got to say I really really loved it. It really reminded me of the old beach party movies with Annette Funicello I use to watch with my mother. A Go Go had a very upbeat surfer type vibe to it and because I was enjoying the music so much I didn't even notice that I couldn't understand most of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gonna check this out when I get home to a computer with actual speakers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo! This music's got me dancing in my chair at work, and I'm not embarrassed. These ladies had talent; its nice to hear a girl group that plays their own instruments, and very well!

    ReplyDelete